My sister called me a few days before my niece’s wedding and asked if I would make the Ring Bearer’s Pillow. It seems that they can cost a pretty penny for just a little bit of fabric and lace. I felt honored to be included in the wedding this way. First thing to do was to check out Pinterest for ideas on the pillows. I liked the burlap and lace ideas but the bride wanted something more elegant.
Armed with a rough idea of what was needed I was off to the stores. The finished pillow size was to be 6 x 6 inches so I didn’t need a lot of fabric. I picked through the remnant bin and came up with a very nice satin. The lace took a little more effort and after visiting three stores I came up with a beautiful piece. The Lace was $17.98 a yard but I only needed 12 inches. It would be a beautiful touch so I splurged and purchased it. I had ribbons and fiberfill in my stash so I was all set to stitch it up.
The assembly only took me about an hour. I used my new spinning cutting mat and my new ruler to cut 2 pieces of fabric 6-1/2 x 6-1/2 inches in size.
I love my new rotating cutting mat. My new toy helped make fast work of it. Getting just the right tools for the job makes cutting smaller pieces so much easier!
On the right side of one of the squares of fabric I placed a length of satin ribbon. Make sure the wrong (dull) side of the ribbon is against the right side of the fabric. I used fabric glue to hold it in place. On the other square of fabric I placed the bit of lace (also being sure that both right sides were up.) I glued this in place just along the seam line. It took more time waiting for the glue to dry than it did for me to stitch the sides together.
I used a generous quarter inch seam on the pillow and left a two and a half inch opening in one of the sides (back-stitching at the beginning and the end.) I very carefully turned the pillow inside out.
I put the unstuffed pillow and some bits of silver ribbon into zip lock bag and tucked it into my suitcase for the trip across the country. I was going to use an extra paper flower my sister had made to decorate the wedding cake for the top of the pillow.
As with all things wedding I had a hitch in its giddy-up. At the last minute I decided that I couldn’t have the glue in my carry-on bag because it was more than 3 oz. of liquid. I took the zip lock bag with glue and fiberfill out of my carry-on with the intention of putting it into my checked bag but in the last minute hub-bub of leaving I left it on the kitchen table instead. Thank God I had put the pillow in a separate zip lock and it was still in my carry-on. (In my defense we were a little more distracted than usual. We were flying across the country to Georgia with Hurricane Matthew due to hit the East Coast the next day.)
I had to improvise. I didn’t want to buy a new bag of fiberfill to lightly stuff a 6 x 6 inch square so I used cotton balls. Use the fabric glue to close the opening. Instead of fabric glue I used a low-temp glue gun to attach the flower to the top of the pillow. I was the only one who knew the difference.
The little pillow turned out beautifully in spite of the last minute issues. We were just enough inland that we missed all but a little rain from Hurricane Matthew. The wedding and reception were perfect.
The beautiful Italian crepe paper flowers were made by my sister, Katy (the mother of the bride.) She made the as a decoration for the wedding cake and saved me a couple for the Ring Bearer’s Pillow.